Descriptive Reflection: Formal Introductory Letter

 Dear Professor Blackstone,


My name is Anthony Foo and I am writing this introductory letter to share more about myself. I am currently studying civil engineering at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) as a freshman. I previously studied architecture in the design school of Nanyang Polytechnic and was fascinated by the built environment. This made me want to pursue further education in interrelated industries. Civil engineering is a desirable choice as it allows me to explore and unite the two realms of creativity and technicality.


When working in groups, I excel in listening to teammates and being receptive to differing perspectives. I always consult team members when making substantial changes and update them on any adjustments. For example, I spearheaded the production of T-shirts for my formation's welfare committee in National Service. There were clashes with requirements, manufacturing limitations, and the proposed design. Discussions were organized to find a resolution. During meetings, I made sure considerations from all parties were heard and tried to reconcile the design with the concerns raised. After multiple iterations, and having open communication channels, we managed to resolve the conflicts and proceed with production.


I could work on improvising during high-pressure situations. An illustration is my internship interview at Shimizu Corporation. The interview started off well, however, I was asked an unexpected question. I got nervous and began losing track of my talking points, diverting from the relevance of the interview question. However, what I lack in improvisational skills I make up for with diligent preparation; I managed to reset myself and save the interview by tying in the question to one of my rehearsed work experiences.


Two goals for this module are refining my tact when communicating with others and honing my spontaneity in elocution. By achieving these goals, I would polish my strength and overcome my weakness in communication.


In summary, I do have much to attain from this module. I am enthusiastic to learn, unlearn and relearn intercommunication and critical thinking!


Yours Sincerely,

Anthony Foo






Comments

  1. Hi Anthony, thank you for sharing more about yourself ! I admire your ability to be able to be receptive when there are differing opinions since it is no easy task to achieve it!
    I look forward to getting to know you more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yenjee! Thank you for your comment on my introductory letter. I look forward to getting to know more about you too!

      Delete
  2. Hi Anthony, thank you for sharing more about yourself. I have a similar goal to yours, which is to improve my communication with others, and I hope we can both achieve this goal by the end of this module!

    You can be more specific in addressing Professor Brad instead of just saying 'Dear Professor'. Besides that, you have handled what's needed and your letter can be easily understood. Looking forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! Thank you for yours comments and critique of my formal Introductory letter. I have made amendments to my post. Looking forward to learn more about you too!

      Delete
  3. Hi Anthony, this self introduction was great in helping me get to know you, however there were a few things that i noted when i was reading your intro letter. Generally I felt that the use of language were very interesting, i spotted a few errors which im not exactly sure are errors too due to my own lacking in regards to the command of the language so i wont harp on those too much. The flow and organisation of the topics mentioned were good and the content was sufficient to hit all the points required. Good job in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Merrick! Thanks for your comments and compliments on my introductory letter. I'll be sure to check with Professor Blackstone about those errors. I hope to get to know more about you too!

      Delete
  4. Hi Anthony, its a good sharing on your end. You gave a good summary on your overall abilities with examples. Its clear in general on what you are lacking and what you are good at. I believe you'll do well in this module and your future from finishing this module!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alvin! Thank you for your comments and compliments on my introductory letter. I hope you'll do well in this mod too!

      Delete
    2. Hi Alvin! Thank you for your comments and compliments on my introductory letter. I hope you'll do well in this mod too!

      Delete
  5. Dear Anthony,

    Thank you for this concise but well developed letter. The content seems fully aligned with the assignment brief, you present your ideas clearly and cmpletely and the language use is very good. You've also done well providing supporting information for each specific content area, which allows us readers to gain an understanding of who you are.

    In the discussion of your NS project experience, for example, you mention how you were able to lead a committee and navigate difficulties, and it's clear you can build on the related skills in terms of the communication you carry out in our module. You also demonstrate a willingness to improve in areas like tact and speaking, which are both so important as you step toward excellence in communication.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Prof! Thank you for your comments and compliments! I'll continue to improve myself and I look forward to learning more from you this trimester!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts