Critical Reflection

 Critical Reflection of learning in the UCS1001 Critical Thinking and Communicating Module


  After an arduous 13 weeks, I am elated to be nearing the completion of this critical thinking and communications module. From this module, I have accumulated a myriad of insights into developing and refining my critical thinking, critical reflection and communications skills. In a full circle fashion, I will demonstrate the refinements and developments of critical thinking and reflection by contemplating on what I have learnt throughout this module.

 

 

  Initially, I set out two objectives for this module: refining my tact when communicating with others and honing my spontaneity in elocution. Now, reflecting upon the extent of which I have achieved these objectives, I discovered that I have comparatively improved my spontaneity in presentations. From the presentation assignment, I felt that I have demonstrated relatively positive spontaneousness in answering questions and adapting to adverse situations. This was enabled through thorough preparation and anticipation of hiccups and questions prior to the presentation. Thus, I believe I have worked on and improved my spontaneity to a certain degree.

 

 

  As for my tactfulness when communicating with others, I found that my demonstration and expression this particular skill throughout this module was relatively lacking. In lessons, though I respond to questions posed to me with adequate thought, I realise that my responses could have more depth and clearer phrasing. In group work, though I made considerable efforts to demonstrate effective communication, my lack of tactfulness may have lead to minor miscommunication and discouragement amongst my team. Though, I have made significant efforts in the group project, I found that my consultations, constant updates, and amendments to the works of my teammates might have had a adverse effect on the morale of the team. What I thought was a demonstration of dedication, effort and teamwork, might have demotivating effect on a number of my group mates. The way I approached the team project could have had more tact, clarity and consideration from the perspective of my teammates. Hence, this is an area which I believe I could have demonstrated more tactful and clear communication.

 

 

  From the technical research project, I have learnt and improve various aspects of critical thinking and communication. The most critical area of learning, however is the presentation portion of the research project. Through feedback and reflection, I have understood that the contents of my team’s presentation was overwhelming. Upon further rumination, my portion of the presentation in particular was comparatively longer than the rest of my group mates. With this understanding, I am now able to discern the flaws the mistakes of my overextended presentation. The overwhelming content and long duration of a presentation would discourage the audiences’ attention from the main points of the presentation. For that particular presentation, I dedicated a lot of time into ensuring that facts and information are correct and detailedly presented. However, I now learnt to divert my efforts to better summarising and simplifying key points of a presentation or pitch. For future presentations, I would work towards making concise and impactful points to sell my ideas and distribute contents presented evenly amongst team member.

 

 

  With this reflection, I hope to demonstrate my critical thinking and reflection abilities but most importantly, understand the extents of my efforts in this module and identify key areas to improve upon moving forward. Lastly, I would like to thank Professor Blackstone for his supportive guidance and critical feedback throughout this module, with which has sparked deeper comprehension and reflection of how to communicate and think critically.

Comments

  1. Thanks very much, Anthony, for your effort and insights in this critical reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts